[Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:36:56 -0700
Most damage in tornados is from horizontal wind component.  There is very
little upward component in the typical tornadic vortex flow.  The horizontal
wind picks things up and throws them, rolls them, etc.  Upward flow is
really only significant for lightweight, low density things (bank checks,
for instance, provide good information on airflow.. they float well, they
have names and addresses, etc.)

Granted, I've seen footage of an F150 pickup several hundred feet in the air
being thrown out of a tornado, but even there, the horizontal component was
dominant.

Previous explanations of why trees are snapped off above ground are right on
track.. the bottom of the tree is strongest, the aerodynamic load up higher
is higher (wind velocities get bigger as you get higher off the ground: the
friction close to the ground slows the air down).  There are also some
structural reasons why long columns loaded sideways(i.e. really a
canteliever beam) tend not to fail at the end (look at falling chimneys,
breaking pencil points, etc.) if you start to consider dynamic effects
(angular acceleration in particular)