[Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:09:23 -0400
On 4/26/02 9:49 PM, Guy Olinger, K2AV at k2av@contesting.com wrote:

>A tornado is trees being ripped UP. It breaks at the point
>accumulating most aerodynamic drag and least able to support the
>weight of the root ball.

In our case, the tornado didn't actually touch the ground. (In which
case, you would be correct -- upward winds) Near the tornado, there are
intense winds with a significant horizontal component. (Air moving in to
replace that dislocated by the updraft.) But the updraft doesn't move
straight up either. Coriolis forces dictate that the rising air column
rotates.

All the trees I remember were definitely snapped OVER. If they were
snapped UP, they would lie broken in many directions. The ones I saw
broken in a single direction (eg away from the wind).

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901