[Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inquiry - Tower Collapse/Fall/Radius Zone
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:42:27 -0400
On 4/9/02 9:29 AM, Dan Evans at n9rla@yahoo.com wrote:

>The annoying part of that is, every tree I've ever seen fall, fell it's full
>height.  But no one is restricting the height of trees.

Actually, when a tornado went through my neighborhood in 1988, the fallen
trees almost never fell their full height.

Instead, they were snapped off at about 12-18 feet off the ground.

The one incident of a tree falling out to its full height was a
neighbor's tree that leaned over to one side after many, many days of
rain waterlogged the ground, and caused the roots to pull out. That one
failed about 2-3 feet BELOW the ground.

I don't think below ground failures are likely for proper tower
installations. Failures 10-20 feet off the ground are more likely. Towers
(and trees!) are awfully strong right next to the ground.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901