[Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts - Rationalized gouging

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts - Rationalized gouging
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:13:09 -0400
> On small-quantity oddball hardware, why should they think you're going to
> do repeat business?

Huh?  The same reason we need to buy the hardware today is likely to be the
same reason we will need it again at some point.  Things break, they
corrode, we lose them, we do "re-fits" and replace them, etc.  Some my
rotators are almost 30 years old and have been reworked and upgraded several
times.  They work great but require occasional maintenance and that requires
parts.  I am sure that my 8 tailtwisters and Ham IV's will require the same
parts again at some point in the next few years even if they don't break.
Antennas I upgrade and redo as necessary and I have 13 of those in the air.

Besides, if I like the way the company does business, there is a very good
chance that I will buy a lot more things from them now and in the future -
not just the item that originally caused me to contact them.

> Also, I paid $8/bolt for some stainless steel hardware. The way I figured
> it, how many do I need to buy in a lifetime? 4 now and 4 more later? How
> cheap do I have to be to be a ham?

Maybe you will only need 4 now and 4 later but not everyone has your
station.  I buy bolts by the dozen and screws/nuts/lockwashers/split
lockwashers of all different sizes by the box (100).  I have just a
single-op station - multis need a lot more than me as they have a lot more
antennas, towers and operating positions to deal with.

> What does this have to do with towers?

This is what we use for towers, antennas, rotators, radios, amps, antenna
switches, phasing devices, projects, etc.

Bob KQ2M