[Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts - Rationalized gouging

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Buying nuts and bolts - Rationalized gouging
From: wc4h@itis.net (Carl - WC4H)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:56:56 -0400
I did not want to add to this continuing thread but since it looks like it
won't end anyway, here it goes:

Most systems on the web cannot  calculate the handling charge until the
entire order is placed, unless it's a fixed charge per item.  If the charge
is based on weight, size, etc., it can not be calculated until the order is
complete.  I host a few web sites and I have tested at least 20 different
shopping cart systems, and this is how they function.  If they recalculated
the charge after every item you bought, then the complaint would be that it
was too slow and the question would be: "Why doesn't it just calculate the S
& H at then end? I know I have to pay it, so why waste my time."

Furthermore, if it's UPS, or USPS, there's no mystery since they have
published rates on their respective web sites.

Any consumer that has ordered anything over the web, by catalogue, or by
phone is aware of S & H !  If they are not, they are not paying attention.
Consumer beware and aware is not just a slogan.

As for disclosure, I always see some note that says "Plus S & H".  While it
may make for a point of discussion on a reflector, the truth of the matter
is that every ham that has ever ordered anything for delivery is aware if
there will be an S&H charge, how much it will be, and the effect to TOTAL
price.

The same Hams (me included) that moan and groan about paying too much for
shipping are the very same ones that would be up in arms if the price was
higher because the shipping costs where included.  We can't have it BOTH
WAYS!

My approach is like this:
If it's a MAJOR item like a Radio, Tower, etc.,  where shipping can get
costly when coupled with the insurance, I shop for the best TOTAL PRICE..
That is, price + taxes + plus S&H + insurance.

If it is something like a bolt, I shop for a quick and somewhat reasonable
price.  To date, I get them all locally since we have fastener places
around.

I try to weigh to cost of me driving 30 or 40 miles (tolls, gas, wear &
tear, time) against ordering a product.

The result is that I'm happy about the deal BEFORE making it.  If I don't
like the deal for ANY REASON, I simply DO NOT MAKE IT.

As a CONSUMER, there's one true POWER that I have.  I do NOT HAVE TO BUY
FROM a VENDOR! When enough people don't buy from a vendor, the vendor gets
the message and either adjusts or goes belly up.  Ham vendors know that we
have one of the STRONGEST WORD OF MOUTH networks around.... it's WORLDWIDE!
They also know that we will use this for or against them according to the
individual case.

73
Carl