[Towertalk] Crank up tower advice needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Crank up tower advice needed
From: ag0n@arrl.net (ag0n@arrl.net)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 08:43:02 -0600
On Wed, 01 May 2002 08:40:51 -0700, Daniel Calzaretta wrote:

> Also, my backyard is not accessible to any vehicles.  Can the tower be
> carried by a group of my friends (beer and pizza provided afterwards!)?

My guess is that this would be difficult and a little dangerous.  You're
talking about something that weighs maybe 600 lbs.  But worse, the sections
can slide while carrying, mangling fingers, etc.

> Are the crank-up towers easy to crank-up and tilt over (with the
> optional equipment)?

Easy is relative.  Cranking up and down is easy for me.  If you're
physically disabled or challenged, it may be hard for you.  Tilting over
isn't "hard", but is more work.  I also don't like what you get when you
tilt it over.  Read notes on that and what I did about it on my web page.

> Again, any help would be greatly appreciated (including photos of
> installation).

While my web page is about erecting the Hy-Gain version, you can get quite a
bit of info from it.  It doesn't relate well to your "not accessible to any
vehicles" problem, but there is a lot of info there for the person, who,
like me, had never done it before.  See www dot qsl dot net slash ag0n
Sorry, just trying to foil the bots.

Gary

a g 0 n at a r r l dot n e t
http colon slash slash mcduffie dot ws