[Towertalk] Crank up tower advice needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Crank up tower advice needed
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 11:16:12 -0500
> > Also, my backyard is not accessible to any vehicles.  Can the tower be
> > carried by a group of my friends (beer and pizza provided afterwards!)?
>
> My guess is that this would be difficult and a little dangerous.  You're
> talking about something that weighs maybe 600 lbs.  But worse, the
sections
> can slide while carrying, mangling fingers, etc.

I guess it depends on how strong, young, and/or accident prone you and your
friends are.  I have moved more crank-up towers than I can count in this
fashion, just as you describe, from the street to the backyard or the
backyard to the street with zero incidents of any kind.

But the fee appears to be universal as beer and pizza are always the fee
extracted by the participants.  And future favors or paybacks.

Getting up in the morning is risky.  Moving towers is riskier.  Talk through
the plan, make sure everyone is on the same page BEFORE you lift, and go
slow with "setting it down" always an option.

Invite lots of friends.  I have never seen one of these tower moving parties
where extra guys just couldn't get a hand on the tower someplace.

Drink the beef after you move the tower.

All the best.  If I lived nearby I'd come help.

Mark, N5OT