[Towertalk] Quad Support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Quad Support
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 09:11:27 -0400
At 01:30 PM 6/9/02 +0100, you wrote:
>I was thinking of suspending 2 40m diamond-configuration quad loops from the
>top of an 80'  steel scaffold-pole mast.
>
>Option 1 is put a  horizontal 20' length of timber with central pivot at the
>top of the mast, thus spacing the loops correctly, and allowing them to be
>'walked around' to the desired direction.
>
>Option 2 is to mount the tops of both loops on insulators at the top of the
>mast, and pull the sides and bottoms of the loops away from the mast,
>pyramid-fashion.
>
>What are the pros and cons of both options, and which do you prefer for best
>DX performance ?

By coincidence, I just finished modeling both as parasitic arrays for 80m,
with a 48-foot spacing, fairly close to what you're describing. The diamond
configuration, fed at the top, gave at best about 10.5 dBi gain at 34
degrees take-off angle, while the delta at the same apex height gave about
9.7 dBi at 37 degrees, but with slightly higher front-to-back ratio.  The
biggest problem with either antenna is that the effective height is rather
lower than the apex, accounting for the relatively high take-off angles,
which are well above what is needed, for example, between Europe and the
US.  A 2-element yagi at the apex height would still be a noticeably better
DX antenna.  On the other hand, the performance is rather better than a
4-square, and it would be a lot cheaper than a rotary yagi.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org