[Towertalk] Guy wire resonance. Break it up or use stubs?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy wire resonance. Break it up or use stubs?
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:10:31 -0600
"It Depends"...

It depends on how the steel guys are configured (insulator placement)
etc.  A friend had his first insulators 10 ft out on guys 10 down from
his tribander.  He reported that the antenna played well on 10 and 20
but sucked on 15M.  I suggested his guys looked like 15M directors
10 ft below his DE, focusing radiated energy straight down!

Guys lengths Longer that 1/2 WL will still act as ineffecient reflectors
and are NOT invisible.  Such guys will most likely degrade antenna
pattern (F/B and F/S ratios).  The only way to get invisible wire guys
is to make each segment less than 0.3 WL on the Highest Band
(11 ft for 10M).

Tom  N4KG