[Towertalk] Hit water digging hole - advice?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Hit water digging hole - advice?
From: Tom Wagner" <tom@n1mm.com (Tom Wagner)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 12:19:56 -0400
That's wrong.  Concrete is stronger when mixed with less water.

I received a private reply from someone who does this for
a living.  He said that you won't get much mixing pouring
under water.  Therefore, your method is ok, not because
it's ok to mix concrete as loose as you want.

See: http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/~tw/concrete/prin.html

Strength of Concrete

"The strength of concrete is very much dependent upon the hydration reaction
just discussed. Water plays a critical role, particularly the amount used.
The strength of concrete increases when less water is used to make concrete.
The hydration reaction itself consumes a specific amount of water. Concrete
is actually mixed with more water than is needed for the hydration
reactions. This extra water is added to give concrete sufficient
workability. Flowing concrete is desired to achieve proper filling and
composition of the forms. The water not consumed in the hydration reaction
will remain in the microstructure pore space. These pores make the concrete
weaker due to the lack of strength-forming calcium silicate hydrate bonds.
Some pores will remain no matter how well the concrete has been compacted. "

73,
Tom