[Towertalk] bulkhead ground system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] bulkhead ground system
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:36:32 -0500
AA6TT wrote:
>>>I'm looking for comments on this setup before it's built.  Should
>>>I be concerned about bolting the copper feed thru panel
>>>directly to my garage's wood frame -- is this a fire hazard?

K7LXC replied:
>>Yes. This is the Single Point Ground System main connection to
>>ground and any lightning transients will be going through it to
>>ground so I'd keep it away from anything that it would arc to.

N2MG added:

>I was considering a similar arrangement:

And so I am thinking it would be wise to also ask: I was going to bolt MY
copper bulkhead to the side of my metal building, but run the low impedance
copper ground straight down to the earth from the bulkhead.  Am I actually
supposed to keep the metal builing insulated from the SPG?

Bosh I say.  But what do I know?  I still just disconnect everything when I
am not using the station.

Mark, N5OT