[Towertalk] bulkhead ground system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] bulkhead ground system
From: kb9cry@attbi.com (kb9cry@attbi.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:53:03 +0000
Theoretically, I believe, that if you've got a good low
impedance and high amp capacity ground path from the
plate to your ground rod then you don't need to worry
about arcing to your residence.  The energy will follow
the path of least resistance and it wants to go to
ground.  I'd check on this at two places:  1.  Visit the
Polyphaser web site and read over their technical
articles many on which are online.  2.  Call Mike at ICE
and ask what he recommends (800-423-2666 best time is
late morning).

Personally all of my ICE arrestors are mounted in
aluminum Hoffman enclosures on the side of the deck
which is just outside of the basement window where the
shack is.  I have a single ground rod at that point.  1
inch wide wire braid and #4 welding cable (made up of
over 500 30 AWG wires) connect the boxes to the ground
rod.  A #4 bare solid wire also is connected from the
rod to the tower(s) ground in systems and also to the
electrical service ground rod.  Finally I run the same
braid and welding cable grounds into the shack via the
window to connect to all the equipment. (The equipment
is connected via 1/2 in. ground braid jumpers.)  There's
one school of thought that says one must use flat braid
since round wires will act as antennas more easily and
could couple with the strike energy and re-radiate and
the other school says you only need the low impedance
pathway.  The braid is flat but the welding cable, if
you calc the outer surface area of its small wires has
more surface area than the braid and of course regular
#4 stranded doesn't come close.
Sri for the bandwidth but would like to share my
learnings. so far no problems here.  Phil  KB9CRY