[Towertalk] bulkhead ground system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] bulkhead ground system
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:01:09 -0400
Bill,

I guess it would be reasonably inexpensive insurance to insulate the copper
plate from the wood with a layer of high-temp fireproof insulating material,
maybe like the rock board they use for parking woodstoves and isolating the
chimney pipe from  the wall (I think this stuff used to be called asbestos
board, but can't believe any asbestos-based products are out there these
days.) However, I didn't see any reference to a fire hazard in all the
Polyphaser material I've read about installing bulkhead panels. That could
be because many bulkhead entries are through concrete foundations. But it's
odd that they wouldn't have mentioned the potential hazard.

Speaking of Polyphaser, they have bulkhead-mount feedthrough coaxial
lightning suppressors that may simplify your job by eliminating the need for
the extra feedthrough connectors. They also sell professional bulkhead
panels, but you can do nearly as well yourself for less money.

I would caution that if the window is relatively high, you are increasing
the panel's distance to ground, which should be as short as possible in
order to achieve the lowest impedance path to ground. Although it's more
work, you might be better off cutting a hole in the wall near the ground. In
fact, one of the Polyphaser books describes an installation where part of
the bulkhead panel is underground and they say this allows a very low
impedance path to ground.

73, Dick WC1M