[Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 07:27:06 -0600
Basically, Stan's approach is to TAKE DOWN the tower and
reinstall it.  Here are two alternative approaches:

N4AR discovered his 200 ft R45 tower with a 4 high stack of 4L20's
had rotated at the base following a near pass by a tornado, sheering
the R45 legs at the top of the concrete.  He made a form and poured
a block of concrete around the base.

N4KG discovered two legs of a TV tower (similar dimensions to
R25 but no diagonal bracing) RUSTED through at ground level.
Three 3 ft lengths of 2" angle iron were pounded halfway into the
ground to prevent the legs from moving out.  H braces made of
2X6 pressure treated lumber were placed inside the tower legs
at right angles to each other to prevent the legs from moving in.
These wooden braces extended up to the next steps which will
support the vertical load in case the tower sinks.  This tower is
still standing 2 years after discovery of the rusted through legs,
supporting 3 tribanders at 40, 60, and 80 ft. with guys every 20 ft.

Note that both of these 'solutions' are probably violations of
'the Prime Directive', but the towers are still standing.

Remember, for a GUYED Tower, nearly all of the forces at the
base are VERTICAL.  Horizontal forces are primarily handled
by the GUY Wires.  Remember to ALWAYS install temporary
low guys when removing ANY guyed tower.

Tom  N4KG