[Towertalk] Choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Choices
From: kq2m@earthlink.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:54:28 -0400
> It's even worse than that...Not only do the W1's enjoy an EXCLUSIVE
> first hour to EU due to their earlier sunrise, but they can hear hundreds
> more of the super weak Europeans with really crummy locations that
> never seem to make it past the East Coast.

It should be like that as we are that much closer to EU.  Of course, when
there is
Aurora, or cndx are disturbed,  we hear a lot of Auroral buzz and the guys
in
FL kill us.  That's when being 1000 miles further South (and further West)
really helps.  Eastern NC is a great area as well.  (Hasn't hurt W4ZV on
160 either.)  Then of course there is W8JI, who hears much better than us
on 160 even though he is GA.  But that's a ridiculous comparison as is
using K1AR to EU on 40 and 80.  K1AR is so much louder than
almost anyone else on the low bands, that using him as a standard of
comparison (from K1EA) for Eastern low band propagation  is ridiculous!
95% of us just don't hear and work the
stuff that he does.  Under absolutely ideal cndx, I can't even come close
to working EU around the clock on 40 with a 40-2CD @ 120' and
 I am less than 125 miles from there!

>Their Low Band advantage
> makes us Central (and Western) guys cringe.  K1AR can work EU around
> the clock on 40M and 80M from W1 is as good or better than 40M from
> the Central Time Zone.

 Bob KQ2M