[Towertalk] choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] choices
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:38:36 -0700
Hi Jan,

I don't have any ground plane system installed with the E-H, and although I
did not check what you suggested (short-circuit the end of the feedline, and
just use that), I did a near-field probe with Tx key-down at 100W output,
using the diode detector and pickup coil on my Millen GDO, and it did appear
most of the radiation was coming from the antenna and not the feedline;
however, that wasn't terribly scientific.

Again, I'm not sure what the fuss is about with the E-H because when one
switches to any reasonable antenna instead, as I can do with my 5-port
antenna switch having four other options, everything blows away the E-H by
quite a margin; still, the E-H makes contacts on the other side of the
world, as evidenced by a 3B8 contact made on Sunday using it -- that's just
about as far away from Los Angeles as anybody can be (11,000 miles).

Which reinforces (once again) my conclusion that it's impossible to judge an
antenna by the DX it works, and only possible to judge it against other
known standards.

73 & thanks for your thoughts!

Steve, WB2WIK/6