[Towertalk] lmr 400 question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] lmr 400 question
From: nielsen@oz.net (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:15:39 -0700
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 02:01:40PM -0400, KB2HUK@aol.com wrote:
> <PRE>HI everyone , I have a question about lmr 400 I have 3 runs of
> this cable ready to be run up my tower next spring the cable is
> already buried.  is the lmr 400 ok to connect to a yagi or other
> antenna on a rotating mast ? is it flexable enough?  I am asking
> about a standard hook up .  thanks John

I'd be a bit hesitant about flexing LMR-400 very much, as it has a
center conductor of copper-clad aluminum.  I recently replaced a number
of electrical outlets in my house (built in 1974) which were hooked to
Romex (or similar) which had copper-clad aluminum conductors and I
broke more of those than I would care to remember when removing them
from press-in terminals and/or forming them to fit a screw terminal.

Likewise, I don't recommend copperweld in an application which requires
a lot of flexing or rotation.  About 25 years ago I ran an experiment
using RG-142B/U for a military application which would see a lot of
flexing of the cable.  The center conductor broke into many tiny
fragments (RG-400, which is nearly identical but has a stranded copper
center conductor performed much better in this application).

A jumper of RG-213 would be preferable.

73,
Bob, N7XY