[Towertalk] lmr 400 question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] lmr 400 question
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:26:06 -0600
On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:18:37 -0400 Ronald KA4INM Youvan

>    I would mount the end connector, a female if possible, binding
> it to a tower leg with a SS hose band and I would use cheap RG-8/U
> as the `whip cable' 4-6 feet is frequently used.  (NOT foam)

        Sounds like a good idea to me.   N4KG

>    Every time the tower and antennas are inspected, I would replace
> it, (once or twice a year) whether it needs it or not, preventive
> maintenance.

        HUH?   My RG213 cables seem to be holding up OK
        after 10 to 20 years service.  Replacing every six months
        seems 'excessive' IMHO.  After all of your weatherproofing
        measures, what exactly do you believe is deteriorating
        at a 6 month rate?  N4KG

> I reuse UHF males over and over, so that major cost would be less.

        Assuming you have nothing better to do with your time.

>    I flood the inside of the interface between the PL259 and the
> SO234 with silicone (clear) heat sink grease to keep the water out,
> it  will not prevent good electrical contact.  It keeps the water out.
> (about $9 per oz.)
>
>    The SS clamp and connector against the tower leg is the
> `grounding kit'.

        I assume you clamp the CONNECTOR to the tower leg
        and NOT the CABLE.  N4KG

>         73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
>      100% LINUX, since July, 1997   SENT Time and Date are UTC
>         Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.