[Towertalk] lmr 400 question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] lmr 400 question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:35:47 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/02 9:15:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

> I've noticed that the portable news-gathering vans seem to use an
>  alternative sort of rotation loop for their antenna masts.  It looks like
>  they wrap 6-7 turns of coax around the mast, with the top fixed at the
>  antenna and bottom end fixed to the truck body, such that when they rotate
>  360 degrees the coil just loosens or tightens a relatively small
>  amount.  That seems like a mechanically superior approach.  Anyone tried
it
>  in ham installations?

    Yep. It works FB and eliminates potential hang-ups with a traditional
rotation loop.

>  Would it work better with the stiffer cables?

    Sure - there is less actual feedline movement so is pretty benign to
stiff cables and those with solid center conductors.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -