[TowerTalk] Concrete "Slump"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete "Slump"
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 29 17:23:32 2003
In a message dated 5/29/03 12:32:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tombaugh@discoverynet.com writes:

> The cost of 3500 pound or even 4000 Pound mix is not significant in the
>  large scheme (guessing $1 / yd). The pour is a relatively small and the
>  price will be proportionately small. We pour 4000 pound concrete almost
>  exclusively. YES it is overkill! However, the tradeoff is in workability.
>  Stronger concrete has more of the expensive stuff.. the glue.. the Portland
>  Cement and that is what makes the mixure "creamy" and easy to work. Too
much
>  water can "appear" to give these properties but good concrete is good
>  concrete. Add water and increase slump (good description below). but good
>  concrete (4000 pound mix) will have a good slump (lower number) because it
>  has more GLUE.

    Another reason for using 4000# mix is that it'll cure to the specified
3000# fairly quickly - in a couple of days. This means you can load the base
much earlier than waiting for the 3000# mix to cure to 3000#.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -