[TowerTalk] Coax Disconnection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Disconnection
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil - KB9CRY)
Date: Sat Aug 9 09:49:09 2003
Two places for info.
Go to the Polyphaser website http://www.polyphaser.com/and thoroughly
read through all of their technical articles.  They describe exactly
what to do.
Also go to the ICE website
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/index.html
<http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/index.html> and read through
their articles.

Purchase the suppressor unit, ground rods, clamps or CadWelds, and
proper wire and hook it all up.  Personally I use ICE equipment but both
companies offer top quality hardware and are of the same design and
capabilities.  From my experience it really works.  Some folks have
posted that they believe their tower is a lightning attractor and is
just waiting and asking to take a strike. From what I've learned that's
totally false if the tower and supporting cables are properly grounded
and bonded.  When lightning strikes, there is actually a ground leg of
lightning that forms and goes up from the ground to meet the sky bolt.
 The ground or tower must have been able to accumulate sufficient
opposite charge to be able to complete the circuit that the sky bolt is
looking for.  If your tower and cables are constantly bleeding away
charge and not allowing any static charge to accumulate, then lighting
will look for another charged area in which to ground itself.  Now of
course one can not always fool Mother Nature and if you do take a hit,
then you'll really want these protectors to stop the charge outside the
shack and shunt it to ground. Finally remember what we all really should
be concerned about is not the direct strike but the nearby strikes.
 These are always occurring and are always, always inducing current and
voltage into our towers.  That induced current is what will also fry our
radios.  I'm always learning like everyone else but please feel free to
contact me if you have questions, or better yet, call up Polyphaser or
ICE, they are really nice folks and will offer help.  Phil  KB9CRY