Re: [TowerTalk] Tram w/Truck

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tram w/Truck
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:12:50 -0600
> Some may think juggling hand grenades is "safe" if they
> do it a lot.  Probably not any safer, just luck.

I bet somebody who does it all the time is better at it than somebody who
doesn't, and they may know there are certain danger signs to watch out for.

You make a good point, Blake, but as Stan pointed out, it's all dangerous.

Also, for my part, I don't like having stupidity legislated against, i.e,
because some tower crews are stupid doesn't mean all tower crews should be
robbed of useful techniques by having them outlawed by Big Brother OSHA, or
the practical fear of litigation, which as we all know is a figment of our
imagination (not).

I would hate for MY stupidity, for instance, to keep K4OJ from putting up
larger and larger antennas in the never ending quest to be louder than me,
even though he's safe with his truck.

Actually, a guy who juggles hand grenades all the time is also at risk of
"getting sloppy."  It is easy to conceive of a scenario where crews who "do
this sort of thing every day" could get in a hurry right before "quittin'
time."

There have been a number of "cold ones with my name on it" waiting at the
end of difficult jobs.  Or to look at it in a way ALL contesters can relate
to, "the sun's about to set and if I can just get this #$%^ thing up there,
I can use it tonight."  The important thing is to recognize the danger and
act accordingly.

Mark, N5OT