Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV
From: KI9A@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 01:16:56 EST
In a message dated 1/3/04 7:36:17 PM Central Standard Time, jsb@digistar.com
writes:

> Regarding G5RV:  doesn't this antenna have rather poor efficiency if the
> typical SWR across the "usable" range is 2:1 or higher?  I can match a
> piece of dacron with a good tuner but it isn't a very efficient radiator

Oh boy, there is always at least one of these guys around when it comes to
the subject of the G5RV...

I use one on 40/80  @ 45'. In 5 years, I have worked EVERYTHING I have heard
on it. I have scored near the top of my class ( high power) in domestic
contests. Any ( well, almost any) antenna at 45' is going to be poor for DX on
the
low bands. I have over 170 DXCC on 40  & about 145 DXCC on 75/80 with it.

Lemme see you do this with a piece of dacron. Ok???

Yeah, it isn't a yagi. Yeah, you need a tuner. But, I did have a full size 80
meter dipole up, at the same height, same orientation, & doing A-B switching,
i NEVER, ever heard  or saw any difference between the 2. Modeling progrmas
might say different, but, my primitive tests show otherwise.  I have never had
1/2 wave 40 dipole up, but I would assmue the results would be the same.

Bottom line is this --- If you DO NOT have the space for a full sized 80
meter dipole, a G5RV is great alternative. Period.

73!
Chuck
KI9A