[TowerTalk] Tuners and Matchers

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tuners and Matchers
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:55:11 -0800 (PST)
Hello Ladies and Gents....

I have been researching tuners to determine which one to obtain.  I have been
getting mixed feelings about ... well ... just about all of them.  So, I an
asking for opinions about tuners.  I currently have a Palstar and it is
OK...but 160 meters suffers.  I also have a homebrew tuner that works, but....I
want something different.  So to that end, what do people think of the
following....(yes, I have read all the reviews I could find in QST and in Eham)

MT3000a
MT2000
TT238B
Nye-Viking
Heath 2040
Heath 2060A
Ameritron ATR-30
Ameritron ATR-20
MFJ ... well forget that

Bonus Questions....

It seems that the popular T-Match and the SPC Match is being challenged by the
plain old L-Match (TT Model and others).  When I was a kid so many years ago,
the best tuner for the old long wire was the L-Match...a cap and a coil and a
bunch of aligator clips all mounted on plywood.  So, is the L-Match making a
comeback in everyones thinking because depending on how you set it up, it can
match from 5 ohms to 3000 ohms where the other are not that robust.

Comments please

Lee - k0WA