Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tuners and Matchers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Tuners and Matchers
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:17:05 -0600
>Another advantage is that the L network
>always gives you only one match, at
>the lowest Q, minimizing the stress on
>the tuner. With a Pi network, there
>are many possible matching combinations
>at varying Q's, so if you run high
>power, you can really stress your tuner
>without knowing.

Thank you Didier, I didn't even understand this most basic fact.  I knew the
symptoms with my T-networks, and thus would always try to find the
combination that yielded the widest bandwidth.

Uh, you tech-weenies out there, widest bandwidth would be the right thing to
tune for under these circumstances, wouldn't it?  Wouldn't that be the
lowest Q?

Do I have it backwards?

ALSO, about the L-network, I described easier how to hardwire it after you
find out if you want it one way or the other, but the one that W0AIH gave me
(I posted that photo of it last week) is switchable so you can reconfigure
it without opening up the box.

Mark, N5OT