Re: [TowerTalk] Brainstorming: A homebrew Steppir like beam....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Brainstorming: A homebrew Steppir like beam....
From: Rob Frohne <frohro@wwc.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:24:55 -0700

On Apr 26, 2004, at 4:27 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

At 01:28 AM 4/26/04, Tom Rauch wrote:
I certainly would never worry at all about stamping,
cutting, or punching BeCu. None of that creates dust, and
the dust is the POSSIBLE danger. The solder we use is very
likely a much more dangerous long term.

Isn't it also worth focusing on the fact that the issues discussed in the article are all involved in occupational exposures, which presuppose exposure 8 hours a day for months and probably years? Just as those of us who once changed a couple of asbestos brake linings don't have to worry about mesothelioma from that source, a hobbyist machining beryllium copper for a day or two seems likely to be well outside any risk envelope.

Thanks Tom for the article citation. I'm sure I come in contact with nasty stuff more often than I know of. For example, when changing the oil in our van yesterday, I found a note saying that prolonged exposure in rats caused cancer, so wash your hands thoroughly after changing the oil. There were several statements near the end of the article that were scarier than the first part though, for example:

Recent animal models demonstrate that sensitization can occur by exposure through the skin.

and

"In occupations with greater exposure to beryllium, you see more disease, but the disease does not occur in everyone with a high exposure, and on the flip side you see disease in people who have almost [undetectable levels of] exposure."

BeCu is great stuff though when it comes to mechanical and electrical properties.

Rob

--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
E.F. Cross School of Engineering