Re: [TowerTalk] Anti-climb measures

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anti-climb measures
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:25:37 -0400 (EDT)
   Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:04:02 -0400
   From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>

   At 08:35 AM 6/14/2004, Alan AB2OS wrote:

   >What, if any, measures are people taking to prevent the neighborhood kids
   >climbing their towers, with possible resulting falls, injuries (or worse),
   >and lawsuits? AN Wireless lists an anti-climb accessory for $450, but I
   >can't see why one needs anything that expensive.
   >
   >This area has plenty of kids and few fences (except around pools), so I do
   >need to take some precautions.

   At the suggestion of W9LT (now WA7LT), I wrapped the base of my tower in
   two passes of 3-foot-wide hardware cloth, for a total of 6 feet of height,
   and wired it securely to the tower legs and cross members.  I don't have
   many close-by neighbors, and have seen no signs of any tampering, but
   there's something to be said for taking measures that at least LOOK a
   little more formidable, from a legal defense point of view.  Of course,
   anyone with an aluminum stepladder can bypass any such trivial obstacle,
   but at least it shows you tried!

And two more notes about chain link fences.  Razor wire at the top
would make it even more formidable, and the slats that slide in to
make such a fence opaque also would preclude easily climbing it.

And as far as the anti-climb height goes, it probably depends on the area.
I can certainly see a tower being considered an attractive nuisance for
teenagers and preteens, and a four foot fence wouldn't even slow them
down. 4 feet will keep out toddlers and small children, but I don't
think they're much of a problem with towers, as they are with pools.

73, doug