RE: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:14:14 -0500
This thread is getting quite long in the tooth.  However, it caused me to
wake up and realize I will be making a mistake to put up cat5 for the relay
boxes on the 40 meter beams.  Had not thought about the weather issue
relating to cable jacket.  So, I am now looking for an alternative cable.
Any recommendations?  The relays draw only 40 ma or so, and the run will be
about 200 feet.

For my application cat5 is too small for the rotators.  On the 150 foot
tower there is a Yaesu 1000DXA at the top and three TIC 1022's below.  I
have Wireman rotor cable for all.  I wanted the recommended 6-18ga for the
Yaesu, but that is on back order, so I just bought the next higher cable:
6-18ga + 2-16ga.  The two 16's and four of the 18's are used for the TIC's.
The Yaesu uses the six 18's.

Keith