RE: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable

To: keith@dutson.net, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:24:43 -0500
At 09:14 AM 6/23/2004, Keith Dutson wrote:

This thread is getting quite long in the tooth.  However, it caused me to
wake up and realize I will be making a mistake to put up cat5 for the relay
boxes on the 40 meter beams.  Had not thought about the weather issue
relating to cable jacket.  So, I am now looking for an alternative cable.
Any recommendations?  The relays draw only 40 ma or so, and the run will be
about 200 feet.

I have had very good results with sprinkler valve cable. It is designed for direct burial, seems to hold up well in UV, is readily available, and is pretty inexpensive. And the gauge is decent for the longest relay runs. You can probably find some at Lowe's and Home Depot.

If you need a lot there are places to get larger quantities--such as
Mil-Spec Wire in California.

Typical cable that is available is 7 conductor, solid, at 19 gauge.  It
also works well as rotator cable--for the control and indicator lines.
Use UF electrical wiring for the high-current motor leads.

--John WØUN
---