Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Rohn 25G Base Section

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Rohn 25G Base Section
From: "Doug Grant" <k1dg@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:02:36 -0000
K1KW suggested:

> My suggestion would be to flush cut the remaining legs with
> the surface of the concrete base. Then drill a hole in the
> center of the concrete base for a pier pin instead, provided
> they make a pier pin base plate for the Rohn 25.

When my 100-footer fell some years back (trees on the guy wires),
I did what K1KW said, except that I left the 6-inch long bent and broken
stubs of the old base section in place. I built a short (6 inches or so)
rebar cage, sticking 2 of the rebar pieces into the hollow legs of the
broken stubs. I then added another foot or so of concrete on top of the old
base, and put a pier pin in the remaining broken-off stub (and made
sure it got plenty of concrete in the hole).

They do indeed make a pier-pin base plate for 25G (or did when
I needed it).

73,

Doug K1DG