Re: [TowerTalk] Tower/mast/antenna height -- a clarification

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower/mast/antenna height -- a clarification
From: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:06:20 -0400
The rest of the ordinance deals with permits, setbacks, painting of towers so as to be as unobtrusive as possible, collocation wherever possible, etc., etc.

Yes, this is their version of "reasonable accomodation" in accordance with PRB-1. The exclusion I quoted means in effect (so the Township officials tell me): "If you are a licensed amateur (or if you only want to receive radio and TV signals) and your antenna is less than 70' high, there are *no* regulations." They don't even want to see specs for the tower or inspect the rebar before the concrete is poured for the footing.

You are correct that this does not completely outlaw antennas or towers higher than 70', but it does mean that if I stick to 70' or less life will be much simpler.

Alan AB2OS

On 07/22/04 09:31 pm Lou Laderman put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

The ordinance says that "This article shall not govern any tower, or the
installation of any antenna:
(i)     That is under seventy (70) feet in height; and (ii) Is owned and
operated by a federally-licensed amateur radio Station..."

I don't read it that nothing may be over 70', rather, that the ordinance
"shall not govern" or address any amateur radio structure under 70'.  I
do not have the rest of the ordinance to look at so I'm not certain what
the rest of the ordinance provides, but I do not see a 70' limitation.
Perhaps this is the "reasonable accommodation": anything under 70' is by
ordinance OK, anything over requires compliance with the ordinance.

And I am a lawyer, formerly an ARRL VC and a former city attorney, but
no longer in private practice.