Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, "\"Dudley Chapman\"" <chief@thechief.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:40:02 -0400
> A question - why do you use silver solder? Isn't that
susceptible to melting when it takes a hit? It's also
contrary to the National Electrical Code using mechanical or
exothermic bonding

It's old habit Steve. I silver soldered at AM broadcast
stations for years, and never saw a problem. I silver solder
here, and never have a joint come apart. The flashing strap
from 300ft tower across the insulator is silver soldered
with just a "fold" that is flooded, and it takes hit after
hit. I can't ever in my life remember a silver solder
connection coming undone, because to melt the solder you
nearly have to melt the copper. I'm not recommending anyone
do anything but what the code says, but my guess is there
are all sorts of silver solders and they are afraid people
will use the stuff made for plumbing. Many people, I'm sure,
can't even solder properly with tin/lead. It makes sense to
me they made the code like they did, almost anyone can
tighten a bolt.

It would make sense for the codes to require a "can't miss"
thing. After all, a good solder connection is many times
better than a wire nut. I can't think of a worse thing than
using a little spring to hold two wires together.

Why is soldering house wiring against code? Probably because
most electricians can't solder. As long as I have my
acetylene oxygen torch set, I'll probably never do anything
else.

73 Tom