Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <K7LXC@aol.com>,"\"Dudley Chapman\"" <chief@thechief.com>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection questions.
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:35:55 -0700
What alloy are you using, Tom. Most of the stuff you can buy at
home box stores is for plumbing applications (96%Tin, 4% Silver).
This stuff has a low melting point and the resistance is fairly
high (similar to tin/lead solder). Some of the model railroad sites
I found seem to be describing a higher temperature brazing like
process using alloys with a much higher silver content for things
like boiler assemblies. Sounds like you are talking about something
similar which would make alot a sense for bonding a tower
grounding system (low resistance, high melting point).

Do you have a source and a recommended flux? I am planning
to redo my grounding/radial system when we have our landscaping
done later this year, so I am interested in different options for
bonding things together.

Thanks,