Re: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:15:34 -0700
At 02:46 PM 7/29/2004 -0500, Jim Brown wrote:

>When I worked for a local phone company (AFTER the power company), we were
>using ADSL over TP (duh) to attempt to deliver video.  The biggest hurdles
>we encountered were not so much with the ADSL modems, but with the condition
>of the outside plant (OSP) itself.

I haven't worked in that part of the industry, but common sense and Transmission
Lines 101 says that those modems had better be treating that line as the 60-100
ohm line that it really is of they are going to work at those data rates! That means
matching each end to that characteristic impedance. There is, of course, another
wrinkle -- not all the cable in the loop has the same Zo, so there can be bumps at
each transition. And, of course, there the loss in the line at the higher frequencies,
and the noise.

Or, more properly, the adaptive equalizer in the modem had better compensate for the eternally changing lumps and bumps in the circuit, and not assume anything about the actual impedance (which probably varies widely with frequency over the more than decade frequency range).

In the phone world, I don't think optimum power transfer (in the Thevenin sense) is really the issue. You've usually got as much signal power as you need (although, this is why 56K modems don't really go 56K on a POTS wire... The Part 68(?) limits on Tx power). It's things like group delay and differential effects that bite you.

That, and the 2wire to 4wire "hybrid" function (that modem has to separate the Rx and Tx signals somehow, and it certainly can't depend on there being a nice 600 ohm resistive impedance for a hybrid to look into). At the CO end, they have a similar problem related to echo suppression.