Re: [TowerTalk] KLM?

To: n7ua@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KLM?
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:49:51 EDT
Bob

I probably have more KLM antennas than anyone I know........17 of them for
HF. In addition I also have four more KT34XAs on the ground that  need to go up
in a stack.  I have often wondered why they have been called  'keep loosing
metal'. I have never lost any of the elements from the KT 34XAs or  the 10 or
15 meter 6 elements...other than when I battered them when installing  them.
The same is true of the four 5 element 20 meter and the two 4  element 40 meter
monos I have.

The main problem has been from the center insulator.  I have probably  lost
four of the center insulators from fatigue.  I busted a few during
installation mishaps...no fault of KLM.

Considering I have had the antennas for 15 years or longer, I feel  that's a
pretty good record.  I think the problem that others have had with  the center
insulators going bad is a combination of cold (which isn't a problem  is FL)
making the material brittle, and over-tightening of the bolts and  nuts.

Good luck with the rehabs on the antennas.

Bill K4XS......looking for a 4 el 40 to rehab!