Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in trees
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:41:58 -0400

W8JI wrote:
>I knew it was someone who worked the  novice DXCC with a
Gotham vertical. That was about the poorest antenna
commercially manufactured, so the only good thing they could
say about it was how much DX people worked when using one.

        Tom, you may be mixing fact with myth.  I indeed worked
the first Novice DXCC, but using a 2-el Yagi.  There were a
few other Novices who made DXCC later, but I don't know what
antennas they were using.  I seriously doubt any were using
a Gotham vertical, but I don't know for certain.

        This is an interesting discussion since I'm considering
a new mountain-top QTH with a very mature 80-90' hardwood
forest on top and considering wire verticals for 160 suspended
from trees instead of using a tower.  Will be interested to see
any conclusions to the discussion.

73, Bill W4ZV