Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Tõnno Vähk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas in trees
From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:59:32 -0400
Hi Tonno,

Your experience is similar to mine.  A wire antenna in
the forest is definitely preferable to an identical wire antenna strung
above the house.

***HOWEVER***,

When I disconnected my 160 phased Inverted L's, which were
identical length with identical feedlines and identical feedline lengths,
and fed them individually, I noticed that one of the phased Inv L's in the
woods
was CONSISTENTLY about 6db - 10db better  than the other identical
phased Inv L's ALSO in the woods.  Furthermore, there was never a time
when the 2nd Inverted L was as good as the first one.

Of course we know that there is no such thing as identical, especially with
an Inverted L, which will have a different orientation at the end, and
different
heights, and of course we know that no tree situation is identical either.

So what does this mean?  It means that you use whichever works best even
if you don't understand why.  BUT it also means that you can't learn much
from my experience because it is not possible to meaningfully quantify
WHY there has been such a consistent difference between the two almost
identical
antennas in the woods.

Since the tree/woods situation is a bit different for both antennas, located
about
270' apart, I have to conclude that the proximity of the trees to antenna 2
is more
adverse than for antenna 1.  But is just isn't that simple and not
particularly
useful for helping me to understand why.

73
Bob KQ2M