[TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal
From: dennis o'connor <k8do@mailblocks.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:09:22 -0700
Jim Lux: Certainly you make valid points about not hanging our hat on just one hook - emergency services - when we do many other things... But, your premise that state and local emergency communications are eclipsing ham efforts does not hold for major disasters, such as the recent hurricane devastated areas in the south... For days VHF and HF ham stations were/are the back bone of emergency communications in those areas...

Another arena where ham radio is the only dependable link is maritime mobile... Recent attacks by a pirate boat (same boat description each time) upon private boats in the area south east of the Panama Canal depended upon the Maritime Mobile Service Net for reporting and disseminating the information to the boating community, which was done in minutes, not the weeks to months that the formal governmental services would take for such information to slowly grind it's way from desk to desk, so that each bureaucrat could add his signature and get his portion of the public credit...

Another arena where we did good was the shuttle disaster, where recovery teams had to depend upon ham repeaters out in the boonies and down in the canyons, for communication...

Local emergency communication networks do function when we have minor problems, snow storm, single river flooding, forest fire, etc., but when the utility poles are tossed around like match sticks, the roads impassable, bridges over on their side, houses collapsed, High tension lines on the ground, municipal water plants dark and silent, sewage treatment plants flooded, Ma Bell silent, and the brown stuff has hit the fan, even in the 21st century Joe Ham with a portable radio is still the first responder... Don't sell it short...

Cheers ... Denny / K8DO

Mailblocks - A Better Way to Do Email
http://about.mailblocks.com/info