Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms

To: "w2ml@arrl.org" <w2ml@arrl.org>,"Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML" <adam77@earthlink.net>,"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms
From: <wf3h@ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:47:31 -0000
Ham radio is, contrary to some opinions, still necessary for emergency
communications.  I have sitting on my mantel a certificate from the American
Red Cross thanking me (with many other hams) for our work in  NY after the
terrorist attack on 9/11.  We staffed the shelters housing those who lost
their residences in the attack.  Hams were on-site at ground zero as well,
supporting emergency communications.

I just got approval from my township for a tower.  The emergency management
director told the zoning board that my tower could be used as a back up for
the township if their tower failed.  The fire chief has also told the
director he could use the tower, if needed, for communications equipment if
the need arose.  The director said that he was aware that hams are
communications experts and that we could be very useful in an emergency.

The fact is that the greater the emergency, the more we will be needed. In
the event of a major emergency, official communications are going to be very,
very strained, or, perhaps, non-existent until backups are brought in. That's
a fact of life.  Hams are widely dispersed and are a reservoir of skill and
equipment. That's why we're needed.

Bob/WF3H