Re: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:20:27 -0500
Ooops, sorry I forgot to delete the message at the bottom. Twenty lashes with a piece of RG-8.--Tom, WW5L

Tom Anderson wrote:

Reprinted from DallasNews.Com technology section. A 5-column article ran Wednesday 9/23/04 in the Dallas Morning News's Business section. Photos of Brandenburg and some of the devastation from the Caymans ran with the story. Tom Anderson, WW5L/7P8TA/V31EF

Link to the online story is below. You may have to join DallasNews.com to see photos though.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/ptech/generalstories2/092204ptechccjrhamradio.2cc9.html

Ham radio to the rescue

Dallas exec sets up in Caymans after Ivan

September 22, 2004

By VIKAS BAJAJ / The Dallas Morning News

It didn't take David Brandenburg long to make up his mind after he was unable to reach any of his friends on the Cayman Islands a day after Hurricane Ivan ravaged the British territory.
David Brandenburg
David Brandenburg snapped a photo of the hurricane devastation in the Grand Caymans. He rushed to the islands to check on friends and set up a ham radio station there.

With his wife's encouragement, the lifelong ham radio operator headed for the Caribbean islands equipped with gear to restore a communications link to the mainland after the hurricane struck Sept. 12. He flew to Tampa, Fla., on Sept. 13, switching to a friend's twin-engine propeller plane early the next morning to make the final hop to the Grand Caymans.

"We left kind of on a wing and prayer," said Mr. Brandenburg, chairman and chief executive of Dallas-based Intervoice Inc. "We had no idea whether we would be able to land, and in fact we were turned down for a few hours."

Within hours of arriving, he had set up a ham radio station at a friend's condo and was relaying messages to the mainland, reassuring worried relatives and giving an account of the devastation.

Before heading for the Gulf Coast last week, Ivan ravaged the Caymans, knocking out power, telephone and water utilities on the banking and tourism hub. The systems began coming back online late last week.

Ham radios have often served as the critical communications backup in the aftermath of natural disasters because they don't rely on a centralized infrastructure and can communicate over long distances. But the island's ham radio operators couldn't serve as a backstop because the hurricane's winds destroyed their antennas.

"That's one of the reasons I went down there," said Mr. Brandenburg, 59. "There are probably a dozen hams that are residents there. ... Everyone I talked to had lost their antenna."

Mr. Brandenburg, who started operating ham radios when he was 14, found his most important function on the island was dispelling mistaken Internet reports about Ivan's toll on life and property.

"One report on the Internet said that 40 people had died at a shelter, and that was not true," he said. "There were rumors that hotels had been blown off, and that wasn't true."

To be sure, Ivan did wreak much damage on the islands, and it will take months to clean up and restore the infrastructure.

When Mr. Brandenburg left on Friday, the islands' wireless-phone companies were just beginning to broadcast signals again. Commercial power was still not available in many places this week.

The power outage made it hard to keep the ham radios going. Mr. Brandenburg improvised with generators and batteries from the island's golf carts. "The generator would keep going out because we didn't have enough gas," he said.

Though supplies are now streaming onto the islands, Mr. Brandenburg and his friends breakfasted and lunched on dry roasted peanuts and water. For dinner, they grilled fresh food that his Tampa friend would fly in on supply runs to the mainland.

"The good news is that everyone was working very hard, and there are lots of supplies coming into the islands," he said. "And soon all the women and children will be off the island."

Mr. Brandenburg returned to Texas on Friday, leaving behind two sets of ham radios. Altogether, the trip and equipment cost him $8,000, a small price for checking on friends he has known for the 25 years he has visited the islands.

"It wasn't necessarily a lot of fun," he said, "But it was a great time."