[TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Importance of Amateur Radio Emergency Comms
From: "Steve Mendelsohn, W2ML" <adam77@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:44:54 -0400
While many here have commented on the Emergency Communications aspect
of Amateur Radio and how it affects communities that ultimately pass antenna
ordinances, there is another aspect that shows the Amateur Radio flag on a
regular, non-emergency basis and is recognized by many communities when
an Amateur in the community applies for a tower permit.

Non-Emergency Public Service. Marathons, community parades, bike-a-thons
for charity and other places where we show the flag have brought home the fact that Amateur
Radio is a cost free communications adjunct .

When/if ham radio organizers properly make a space for A.R. mentions in the local press
the community sees the service in a very positive light and in a non-stress situation.

This positive image is one I've used many times at antenna hearings. It's been my
experience over 28 years that when we help the town at no cost and they understand
the value of the service and are far more understanding in granting tower permits.

-73- Steve, W2ML
Communications Coordinator
New York City Marathon