Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: "Frank Donovan" <donovanf@erols.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:20:49 -0500

You should focus your efforts on designing and constructing a low
impedance grounding window at the location where your cables
enter your home.  All cables entering your home should be bonded
to the grounding window either directly or through suitable lightning
protection devices.

There is no need whatsoever for any further grounding of your station
equipment, other than the green wires from your equipment to your
AC power receptacles.

In that case, explain this:

My cables come in through a bulkhead. Each cable goes through a PolyPhaser (bulkhead connector type) in that bulkhead. The radio station is on a large desk that sets against the West wall. To the left of that desk is a computer desk with the computer that serves as control, packet, and sometimes logging.

I had the cable to the 440 array disconnected from the Alpha-Delta coax switch for the UHF/VHF antennas. The end of the cable with the PL-259 attached was laying on the desk top, below and a bit to the side of the antenna switch for a total distance of about 10 inches. Both duo-band 144/440 rigs set on top of the hutch above the antenna switch. The switch was in the 144 MHz position.

Remember, all these cables and others go back through that grounding bulkhead.
I was at the computer keyboard on the main computer which is on a desk against the South Wall which is directly to the East of the other computer desk. Both Duobanders (the second connects to a colinear vertical side mounted low on the tower) and the 756 Pro were operating as well as all 4 computers on the Cat-5e (hard wired) network.

Lightening struck the tower and there was a briliant flash from a very bright arc accompanied by a lound "bang" from the end of that cable up to the antenna switch.

Other than Both UPSs resetting and the network reconnecting there was no indication that anything had happened.
However it's only 8 feet at most back to where the cable laying on the desk and the cable tied to the switch connect together. There was no damage to any polyphaser.

It must have been a very rapid rise time to that strike, but with all rigs bonded together externally as well as through the cables there was no damage.

Maybe that low inductance ground doesn't do anything, but after that, I will certainly continue using them in all my installations.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com
73!
Frank
W3LPL