Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,"Frank Donovan" <donovanf@erols.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:01:08 -0500
> > There is no need whatsoever for any further grounding of
your station
> > equipment, other than the green wires from your
equipment to your
> > AC power receptacles.
>
> In that case, explain this:
>
> My cables come in through a bulkhead. Each cable goes
through a PolyPhaser
> (bulkhead connector type) in that bulkhead.  The radio
station is on a large
> desk that sets against the West wall.  To the left of that
desk is a
> computer desk with the computer that serves as control,
packet, and
> sometimes logging.

We should always run a common low resistance buss along the
bench and tie everything to it. That buss should be commoned
with the neutral of the power line entering the operating
position, and can (and probably should) tie into the shack
entrance panel ground if it is close.

The function of that ground is to reduce potential
differences between various equipment at the operating
position and provide a short low-resistance path so currents
don't flow through interconnecting cables. It also helps
with safety.

Sometimes we get away without doing this, but it is always a
good idea to have a ground buss.

You should avoid running long individual leads from each
piece of equipment to an entrance panel. That's generally a
bad idea.

73 Tom