Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>,K8RI on Tower Talk <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>,Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Ground
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:00:45 -0600

Tom Rauch, et al-
Time and LOTS of reading and checking have taught me that not heeding Your (Tom R) advice is a bad idea.

Usually
and
However.
(There is ALWAYS this pair of caveats.)

My memory of reading many installation manuals ( and- I DO read them) tells me that the usual instruction is to wire directly to the battery post, but through fuses in BOTH lines. The pertinent passage in the Yaesu FT-2500M manual is:
"To minimize voltage drop and avoid blowing the car fuses, connect the supplied DC cable directly to the battery terminal. Do not attempt to defeat or bypass the fuse- it is there to protect you and the equipment."
This instruction is in MANY manuals, not just from Yaesu. (However, they (Yaesu) provide only ONE fuse on this radio.) Many manuals add comments about noise abatement.

I do agree with you, but most manuals do not, and most Hams do tend to follow these books.
Bill

Bill Aycock - W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama