[TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:19:54 -0500
I'm hoping that history has added the subject of shack wiring, both RF and AC, to the range for Towertalk -- if others disagree, I apologize.

My entire shack is on a single 110V circuit (separate 220 for the amplifier). Recently I have begun to get low voltage warnings (104.5 volts) from my UPS in the morning, and so have put a digital voltmeter on the circuit. With no load except for the computers (2), the UPS and the table light, voltage right now is 108.7. My two radios (on receive) cause the voltage to drop about .4 volts. When the voltage is running low, I typically see 104.7 or 104.8 without the radios, so adding them to the load sets off the UPS.

Two questions, I guess -- is the voltage drop with loading I describe above roughly what you'd expect? If necessary I can dig out the standby power requirements for the two radios. And second, what is the US spec for line voltage? The power company is coming out to investigate and I'd like to know where I stand.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated 12 January 2005
2868 contest stations at