Re: [TowerTalk] Remote station operation

To: "Bryan" <w5kft@nts-online.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote station operation
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:21:42 -0500
It depends on how computer savvy you (or your friends)are, but using an audio interface you should be able to handle the transceiver just fine. There are rotor control boxes that interface with the computer using the serial port. I don't know of any that are using USB yet. You can use the home plug equipment along with some programming to control antenna and power switching. Physically running and tuning an amp is a tad more ambitious, (Henry Radio builds one that is already remote controlled while Alpha has the autotune feature) but yes it is possible to do all of that remotely. It would have to be set up to meet control op regulations, but with some effort I don't see why it can't be done.
When my late cousin lived in CA I could turn his lights on and off from Michigan just by clicking on the images.

The basic limitations will be just how elaborate you wish to go and what you have for equipment.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I would like to hear some comments, ideas and suggestions from folks about the remote operation and control of a station over the internet. Control, equipment, switching, etc etc

I am interested in setting up a system so that my contest station at the ranch can be remotely operated and controlled via the internet. A local ISP has just installed high speed wireless on one of the towers and we have full time access available.

My line noise has gotten so bad in town on the low bands that I want to explore some way to be able to operate on 75 and 160 in spite of the noise. Several articles have come out recently with a RF control link but this is not practical so internet seems like a good solution......