Re: [TowerTalk] SHACK LOCATION VS GROUNDING & RFI

To: "TOMMY HALIBURTON" <ROCKETJ10@MSN.COM>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SHACK LOCATION VS GROUNDING & RFI
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:33:47 -0500
I am setting up my shack and have a dilemma as to the best
location with respect to grounding and RFI. My choices are a
second floor bedroom or an unfinished portion of the
basement. I intend to run about 200 watts most of the time
but will have the amp on the ready when needed. Has anyone
successfully done a second floor installation? Note well
that all utilities are underground. Thanks, in advance, for
any assistance.>>

Tommy,

I'm sure either location would work, assuming the install is
done correctly.

There really isn't a need to install a good RF ground
connection to your equipment unless the antennas are not
properly configured and installed.

I'm not saying you don't need a good electrical safety
ground in a station with line operated equipment. You always
should have one.

I'm not saying you don't need to bond pieces of equipment
together in your shack to a common low-impedance ground
buss. You should do that.

What I am saying is if you use balanced lines that are
reasonably well balanced or coaxial lines that are working
properly there won't be any significant RF current on the
cabinets or ground buss that needs to be conducted to a
"ground system" anyway. You don't need a good RF ground,
just a low impedance electrical safety ground.

If we find a ground system eliminates RF problems, it means
we have something wrong with the system. Maybe it is
something we can't fix, like an antenna location problem.
For example you might have a dipole in your attic, or just
above the roof.

I would say the most important thing in deciding where to
put your station is where you would enjoy it most. Second,
you have to consider where the antennas are located and what
the antennas are. You also have to consider getting wires
and cables safely into the room.