Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH

To: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:14:37 -0800
> Indeed.  It seems all of the big signals you hear on 17m these days are
> SteppIRs.  Many people try to load up their tribanders on 17 but it just
> won't give the gain the SteppIR will.  A 4-element SteppIR on 17m
> is a band
> opener.

One time I called CQ on 17 with my 4 element SteppIR (at 50 ft) and several
callers
came back.  After I signed with the first one, a bunch of stations
were calling me.  Next thing you know, I had a pileup going.
Even one of those IOTA special events stations called me.
He thought I was another  special events station, due to the pileup.
Then I heard a European calling me off the side of the beam.
Turned the beam toward Eu and I had a pileup going from there.
The pileup was still going strong after 90 minutes when I
decided to take a break.  Most stations said I had the strongest
signal on the band.

Rick N6RK