Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help in planning a new QTH
From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:58:42 -0500

I have exactly what you first described.  A 55-foot crankup, a 3-el
SteppIR, and a half sloper for the low bands (on a 1acre lot near
Poughkeepsie).  I also have a terminated dipole (100' legs) at right angles
to the sloper wires.

First comment: I would be very surprised if there really are no legal
limitations on towers in the area you mention. I suggest that your major
effort should go into ensuring this, or obtaining (in writing on the proper
letterhead, before you buy) permission to put up the tower.  DO NOT ACCEPT
STATEMENTS FROM THE REAL ESTATE AGENTS -- THEY ARE CLOSELY RELATED TO USED
CAR SALESMEN.

I had a 5-band quad before the SteppIR.  The quad was great, but the
practical aspects of working on it (one person) drove me crazy.  It is a
very awkward three dimensional beast.  IMO the SteppIR is great and the 180
degree switch is something I could not live without now that I have it.
You said you are looking for a practical station, not a top-end contest
station --- the 3el SteppIR should do this very well.

Half slopers -- do not count on them unless you have lots of time, space,
and supports for playing with the wires----or unless you do not get excited
about SWR.  I finally got a reasonable match on the lower half of 160 and
40 meters.  80/75 never goes below about 4:1, but it gets out well anyway.
(My Omni 6+ does not mind 3:1 and gets out fairly well.)  The dipole,
mounted as an inverted V, is not great, and is particularly bad on 30
meters for some reason.

Noise is bad on 160 and 80 -- I do not think it is local noise -- and the
dipole is considerably quieter than the slopers, but does not seem to get
out as well.  I plan to try a receiving loop later this year.

I have about 40 radials of various lengths attached to ground stakes near
the tower and the stakes tied to the tower.  (The radials are intended for
RF, and connecting them to the stakes seemed an easy way to manage the
connections.)

Plan on a 3" conduit to the tower and make certain it is drained correctly.

Good luck,

Bill
W2WO