Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:18:44 -0500
K6IF wrote:

 >I think the answer basically boils down to this: boom length is a key
contributor to gain.

 >The SteppIR design removes the constraint to solve for "acceptable"
bandwidth.  This allows the antenna to be configured for "optimal" gain at a
given frequency with a fixed feed impedance of 22 ohms.  It turns out that
if you get to optimize the elements for gain absent a requirement for
bandwidth, and you have four elements on a 32 foot boom, you get pretty
close to the optimal amount of gain possible from a 32 foot boom.

         I agree with most of what you say, but the SteppIR suffers 2
major constraints on 10 meters...element placement is fixed and number of
elements is 4.  I just did a quick look with YO7 and optimized a 4
element Yagi on a 32 foot boom with equal spacing, 99% weighting on gain,
0% on F/R and 1% on SWR over the limited frequency range of 28.399-28.401.
YO7 very quickly optimized this since there are so many constraints.  It
came up with free space gain of about 11.0 dBi and F/R 7 dB.  Adding one
director and allowing element spacing to be varied with other constraints
identical (e.g. 99% gain weighting) yielded 11.8 dBi and 14 dB F/R.  Trying
6 elements was interesting.  YO came up with a design which effectively
eliminated the extra director for the given optimization parameters (if F/R
were not weighted 0%, I suspect it would love to have that director).  The
bottom line is you can only do so much with the restriction of 4 elements
on a 32' boom...you really need 5 elements to approach optimum gain on 10m
for that boom length.

         I would guess placement of a single fixed 10m director in front of
the driven element would make major improvements in gain and F/R on 10m,
not affecting 15 and 20 much (maybe a problem on 12m however).

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV